I started running almost 10 years ago, as a way to stay in shape and exercise both my body and my mind. My ultimate goal was to complete a full marathon, which I accomplished four years ago. It will probably be my first and last full marathon.
I continue to complete a ½ marathon each year as a way to stay in shape. This fall, I’ll be completing my 10th ½ marathon.
A few months ago, I started to research all the options – cities and dates to do this milestone half-marathon. Las Vegas on November 17th got my attention. They close the Vegas strip for the runners to enjoy the music, lights and crowds to cheer them on. What a great place for a celebratory event!
Wait – it even gets better!
My daughter, Taylor, who is working full-time decided she would complete her 1st half-marathon and would join me.
It has been an incredible training journey since I first started running. I learned many things about myself and how training for a marathon is related to the sales journey – especially when it comes to obstacles.What will you do to anticipate and overcome any obstacles to ensure you slam dunk your goals? Click To Tweet
Taylor and I created our training plan last week. I’ll admit, this past week it would be have been easy to blow off the long run:
- I had a crazy travel schedule and several flights to catch, and I came down with a bit of a cold, sore throat and lack of energy.
- There was pending rain during our run time.
- My daughter had a late night at a friend’s party.
Just like sales, there are always obstacles that get in the way of our goals.
But, we didn’t give in.
We mustered up our best positive self-talk and chose to make it happen, rather than to allow the excuses to get in the way. It was well worth it! We had great conversation, our energy and strength picked up, and then the sunshine came out in the last 2 km rather than the rain. It was well worth the extra effort to get this done!
As we move into the 4th quarter of sales, what are your goals?
- Slam dunk your sales goal
- Go for the stretch sales goal
- Create a stronger sales funnel in preparing for the next fiscal year of 2020
- Secure a large long-term contract with a client
- Complete business review meetings with your top 3-5-10 clients
What are the obstacles that could get in the way of achieving the above?
- Not enough in your sales funnel to achieve your sales goals
- Your own negative self-talk
- Not planning your time for your prospecting calls and/or business review meetings
- Simply, giving up way too soon!
Only 54% of sales professionals will achieve their sales goals this year – that’s pathetic!
Just like running, it takes a positive mindset, tenacity and rigour to make it happen.
I can’t wait to slam dunk our sales goals this year and cross the finish line on the Vegas strip – it will be SO worth it!
Lisa is driven by the mantra – Be Strategic. Be Pro-active. Be Brave. – and has been successfully training and coaching sales leaders and their teams to do the same for over 15 years. As the President of Teneo Results since 2003, she has trained thousands of sales professionals at more than 250 companies across North America. She transitions salespeople away from the standard “product & price” approach to having purposeful business conversations with their customers that drive results.